Honeymoon Destination: Puerto Vallarta By Chris Morton - Puerto Vallarta, a popular beachfront resort, located along Mexico's Pacific coast, was once a small fishing outpost. The romantic honeymoon destination is known for its temperate climate, sparkling white sand beaches, and world-class shopping.
Puerto Vallarta was just a quiet fishing village in 1963 when director John Huston chose the locale for his filming of Tennessee William's play "The Night of the Iguana." The movie's stars were the paparazzi favorites of the day: Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. The media hoopla turned Puerto Vallarta into an international destination, almost overnight. The Burtons feel in love with the spot and bought property in the hills above the waterfront. A statue of John Huston in the city's center commemorates the making of the movie.
Today, "PV," as the town is called by its residents, is a resort destination and a favorite of honeymooners, drawing an average of five million vacationers each night. Not bad for a town with just 165,000 residents.
In addition to the many beaches and sparkling ocean views, Puerto Vallarta offers a
variety of attractions. Among the most popular are:
• The Malecon -- This downtown promenade is elaborately decorated with public art from one end to the other. It has romantic scenes and wacky modern sculptures by renowned Mexican artists and is just fun to explore.
• Museo Rio Cuale - This small museum on nearby ''Isla Cuale'' is accessible from Puerto Vallarta by pedestrian bridges. It offers a rare glimpse of pre-Columbian figures and many other artifacts from Mexico’s diverse history.
• Pink Bridge – Though it's not an official attraction, this monument is a highlight for Hollywood fans. It's the delicate arch that once connected Richard Burton’s and Elizabeth Taylor’s homes.
• Huichol Collection Museum Gallery – This museum, located near the city’s main square, has an excellent collection of Indian art, including intricate beaded masks, wall hangings, and carved animal shapes. An in-house artist is often seen working in the shop.
• La Casa del Tequila - This unique shop is a tasting room where samples of the many different Mexican tequilas are available for sale and for tasting.
Chris Morton ran hotels and restaurants for 10 years, organising many
successful weddings in the process.
His wife Sue is a wedding coordinator who has help many nervous brides
and their families.
All content published on this web site is
provided for informational and educational purposes only. Always
seek professional advice before making any decisions.
We use third-party advertising
companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies
may use information (not including your name, address, email address,
or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites
in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of
interest to you. If you would like more information about this
practice and to know your choices about not having this information
used by these companies, click